KY Legislative Update - HB 181
House Bill 181 has been introduced into the Kentucky House of Representatives for the 2021 Regular Session.
HB181 will require lactation accommodations for students of public institutions of postsecondary education. It will help lactating college students receive time and space accommodations similar to those of working mothers and protect them from academic disciplinary actions.
View the bill's text and status information at https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/record/21rs/hb181.html.
View an infographic with brief information about the bill.
Currently, HB181 has been introduced to KY House; still waiting for it to be assigned to committee (as of 2/4/21). We need to get it assigned to a committee as quickly as possible, so that it can be considered during this short legislative session.
What you can do – KY Legislature
- Call the Legislative Message Line at 1-800-372-7181
- Ask to leave a message for all members of the House Committee on Committees.
- Message: Please assign HB 181 to a committee as soon as possible so that Kentucky mothers who are college students may argue their case for the legislature’s help. (Feel free to update this wording as you like.)
- Contact your own KY Representative
- Find your Representative at https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/findyourlegislator/findyourlegislator.html
- Email or call to leave a message, asking for their support to:
- Become a co-sponsor to HB181
- Support the bill to be heard in Committee and on the House Floor.
What you can do – Your Networks
- Ask any public institutions of higher education with which you have a relationship to send a Letter of Support for HB 181 to Rep. Raymond (Josie.Raymond@LRC.KY.GOV). View a template for an academic letter of support as well as KLIC's support letter.
- We need as many letters from public institutions as possible.
- Letters from administration, faculty, deans, and student organizations are all great.
- You could also write your own letter as an alumne, especially if you have personal experience with breastfeeding as a student.
- Share this info through your social networks and ask them to do the same, contacting their own institutions and/or to write legislators!
- Ask mothers who have applicable stories of balancing studies with breastfeeding to write/contact legislators and ask for support.