In the News:
World Breastfeeding Week/National Breastfeeding Month!
The US Breastfeeding Committee organizes Nat'l Breastfeeding Month. Get more information about their plans and themes at www.usbreastfeeding.org/nbm
- Rock and Relax area at the Kentucky State Fair, August 16 - 26 in Louisville.
- Black Breastfeeding Week is August 25-31. Information is at blackbreastfeedingweek.org
- Celebrating National Black Breastfeeding Week: Picnic & Latch On, Saturday Aug. 25, 5:30 pm, Shively Park, 3122 Dixie Hwy, Shively, KY. More info at https://www.facebook.com/events/249554972493221/
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention just released the 2018 Breastfeeding Report Card! Kentucky posted a 73% breastfeeding initiation rate, the best EVER! See all of the statistics for Kentucky and Indiana at https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/reportcard.htm.
Upcoming Educational Opportunities:
Certified Lactation Educator Course, Sep 20 - Sep 22, 2018, Evansville, IN. For more information on this CAPPA training, visit: https://www.
eventbrite.com/e/certified- lactation-educator-cle-20- hour-course-evansville-in- tickets-47755538100
- Appalachian Breastfeeding Network Conference, October 12, 2018, Glouster, OH. Taking off the Rose-Colored Glasses, discussing the real, raw issues in Appalachia including racism, birth trauma, birth practices, sexual abuse, domestic violence, and opioid addiction and how these topics all directly impact breastfeeding initiation and success. For more information and to register, visit https://www.appalachianbreastfeedingnetwork.org/annual-conference.html
- The Michigan BF Network continues to offer free webinars on the third Tuesday of each month. Visit their website,www.mibreastfeeding.org/webinar-series/ for details on upcoming offerings. CERPs/CEUs are available when webinars are viewed live. Archives are available but do not qualify for continuing education.
- GOLD Lactation is offering a Free Public Webinar on September 10: "Full-Term Breastfeeding/Chestfeeding: Benefits, Considerations and Ways to Offer Support" by Joy MacTavish. 1 L-CERP For more information and to register, visit https://www.goldlearning.com/ce-library/all-lectures/bts2018-detail.